This is Clontarf Castle and it served as our home base for the 2'nd leg of our trip. The castle was built in 1172 as an inner circle of defense site protecting Dublin. In 1835 the original Castle structure was deemed unsafe and a distinguished Irish architect (William Vetruvius Morrison) was called in to survey the castle. He perceived the problem as sinking foundations and the Castle was demolished. It was rebuilt and the Castle as we know it today was completed in 1837.